Skip to main content

Review: Fibro Soothe

"I have been given this product as part of a product review through the Chronic Illness Bloggers network. Although the product was a gift, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company. "

2017-04-12 01.09.54



Prohealth offers the product Fibro Soothe. I personally am pretty interested in these fibro supplements and I have tried some before. They save me from having to buy so much more, and I can just buy the one to take regularly to help my Fibromyalgia. Right there is one perk.

It contains: Frankincense, Turmeric Longvida, DL-Phenylalanine, Ginger, Devils Claw, Ashwagandha, Bromelain, Papain, and Turmeric Powder.

I am pleased to see Turmeric on the list as well as Ashwagandha and ginger.

  • Turmeric: Within Turmeric is Curcumin, the active ingredient which is well known as an anti-inflammatory. The site says it may 'Promote soothing comfort in muscles and joints.' Fact is, FM is one of those syndromes investigated for low-grade inflammation so this is a good product for us. (study, study, although you can find many). So treating inflammation, so a good idea at this point.
  • Frankincense: (Boswellia serrata Wokvel)- is likewise an anti-inflammatory. Here is a study on osteoarthritis where they had significantly improved pains scores and function. Most of the research on it for arthritis is good and positive.
  • DL-Phenylalanine: is thought to boost dopamine and Norepinephrine. Most importantly, it is thought to help with help with how the brain and the nervous system process pain and respond to pain. And fibromyalgia is a pain processing disorder. It actually can be used to relieve minor depression, which is an added perk for me.
  • Ginger: They put in the ginger due to its anti-inflammatory qualities. But just so you know, it is awesome for nausea, which I have a boatload of. I welcome it in any supplement because my nausea doesn't agree with them either, or anything.
  • Devils Claw:  It has been used for pain, arthritis, and musculoskeletal disorder. The Prohealth site references this study where it was seen as equivalent to the NSAID Vioxx. Since we know the risk with NSAIDs, and I have experienced the long-term side effects, that is something to consider.
  • Ashwagandha: Has been used for anxiety, insomnia, and stress. It can decrease cortisol for stress. For those factors alone I think it is valuable. This study showed it reduced stress and substantially reduced cortisol.
  • Bromelain: Is being used for its anti-inflammatory properties. Although you might be interested to know it can reduce heartburn and help with nasal congestion. Bonus!
  • Papain: Used for pain and inflammation

Other mentions:
Other Ingredients: Silicon Dioxide, Starch, Soy Lecithin, Stearic Acid, Maltodextrin, Ascorbyl,Palmiltate,Milk, Capsule (Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, Purified Water). Contains Soy, Milk.
Contraindications: Not to be used during pregnancy. Freshness packet is not edible and should be discarded Prohealth
So we see a theme here. Inflammation. Why is that? Again, because there has been a lot of research recently indicating there is inflammation in fibromyalgia. It makes a great deal of sense to address that. I liked this supplement for that focus given all the recent research I have read on the subject, not to mention, the general pain relieving focus. Prohealth product Fibro Soothe is, I think, a well-combined combo of herbs.  The Ashwagandha and ginger being I think great additions. The Tumeric providing a good core to build the others around. On my trial of it, I have been in a lot of pain, flaring majorly lately, but it seemed there was a steady reduction in there. I think this is one I will add to my other fibro vitamin supplement choice as I think the two will work perfectly in conjunction. I am going to see how it goes in an even longer period of time, because so far it has had a benefit on a severely bad bout. Bound to do better once I am not so flaring.
The one issue I have a problem with is the soy in the pills. Since I take synthroid and I am supposed to avoid soy. But it seems to be everywhere these days. Hard to do really. I'll have to look into it but it might be like my calcium... can't take it within 4 hours of the synthroid. Synthroid is the most finicky med for such things.
Inflammation in Fibromyalgia


In 2013, Spanish researchers published an hypothesis that inflammation in fibromyalgia could be the result of dysfunction in the mitochondria (parts of your cells that break down nutrients to create energy.) Another study out of Spain, from 2010, showed elevated levels of mast cells—which release inflammatory chemicals in response to various triggers—in the skin of people with fibromyalgia.
Also in 2012 and 2013, multiple studies revealed several markers of inflammation in fibromyalgia, including high levels of C-reactive protein and pro-inflammatory cytokines. Very Well
. Further reading about inflammation in FM: Study Reveals New Treatment Target for Fibromyalgia: Inflammation in the Brain
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…